Back in 1988 Komodo grew out of an epic travel adventure story. Inspired by the culture and colours of Asia and passionate about creating an eclectic mix out of Eastern and Western design ideas, Komodo became the label to watch at fashion shows in London, Paris, Florence and Tokyo. Our eco and natural fibre collections are designed in London and ethically manufactured in Nepal, India, China and Bali since 1988. One of the most important steps when building our collections is the fabric sourcing. We have a broad range of ethical fabrics and we want to share with you some interesting facts about them.
Today's topic is organic cotton. This is one of our most used fabrics and we want to share with our customer some curious facts about it. Soft and comfortable, the cotton fabric is used for almost every type of clothing. However, the difference between organic cotton and normal cotton is big and may affect not only the environment around us, but also us as consumers.
The water usage is a huge benefit of organic cotton and also the working environments are better for the workers. The organic cotton does help the environment a lot, but there are other benefits from organic cotton products. Consumers benefit from the quality of it making their skin feel softer.
1. The amount of water needed for 1 kg of organic cotton is 7,000 L. compared to the amount of water needed for 1 kg of non-organic cotton is 29,000 L.
2. Organic Cotton is the most skin-friendly, soothing and harmless natural fibre.This is the ideal material for protecting and cleaning newborn babies.
3. By avoiding toxic pesticides workers avoid health problems and deaths common in non-organic cotton production.This also reduces production costs and farmer debts.
4. Yearly produced amount of organic cotton: 25,000 tons.This is only 0.1% of the worldwide production is organic cotton.
5. Cotton is the most pesticide dependent crop in the world.Every T-shirt uses a quarter-pounders worth of toxic chemicals. Organic cotton uses non. It's better for the land, the water and the people...
Comments will be approved before showing up.